Sunday, March 18, 2012

The walflowers of the perinnial world

I have probably told everyone I know what my favorite plants is and I probably said a different plant to each person. Really to answer that question I would need more specifics are we talking about; a shrub, wildflower, cut-flower, native or tree? I guess to sound like a mother with 10 children- I have many favorites. Here is a list of a few that I think have been overlooked. These are a few of my full sun and part sun favorites.


Amsonia is one of the few true blue flowers that bloom late spring to early summer.  Don't cut these plants after blooming because their foliage turns bronze in the fall and the flower heads form interesting seed pods. They do hold as a cut flower but has a milky sap so you will have to change the water after picking them. This plant is also deer resistant and drought tolerant which is a nice bonus. They grow in zone 9-4.



Astrantia is popular in Europe but not here for some reason. They have long blooming paper like pincushion flowers in subtle pinks, red and purple. They prefers a moist but well drained soil part shade and will bloom from June-August in zone 9-5.




Angelica- This is the plant in my garden that everyone says "what is that?!" Huge foliage close to the ground and the flower stock can get 4 feet high. It looks like Queen Ann's Lace on steroids- do not plant this if you don't like insects- everything want to pollinate this plant- it is like the LAX for the insect world. It is a great attractor of beneficial insects to your garden.It blooms late-spring to early-fall in zone 9-4.

This purple variety is a show stopper in the garden
Lathyrus vernus- perennial sweet pea. I love garden club plant sales for plants like this. I had never heard of this plant, what a little cutie! It blooms early spring for me in part shade/ full sun. It looks terrific mixed with spring bulbs. After the flowers go by it forms little pea like seed pods.I haven't seen this in nurseries but it is available from White Flower Farm. From what I could find it is hardy from zone 7-5.





Lysimachia- gooseneck loosestrife. *WARNING* Plant this plant where it can cannot take over the world because it will! this is a great plant for crappy soil in an area you really don't want to deal with, it make a great 2-3 foot ground cover. I have it in a patch under a tree sounded by grass, I will mow the little bastards that try to spread out in the lawn. That said it is a no fuss great plant that reminds me of ocean waves when it blooms and is an amazing cut flower!




1 comment:

  1. I met Jaycob Dylan of The Wallflowers. But these here are nice too.

    ReplyDelete