Monday, April 2, 2012

Early Spring In My Garden

I really love this time of year. All things seem possible, no diseases have reared their ugly heads, no bug infestations,  the weeds have not begun to choke the peonies yet. I think ever year at this time- this will be the year my garden really looks great!

This has been a warm and sunny early spring here in zone 5 so I have got all my clean up done yearly. Each spring I rake off most of the leaf mulch that I covered the beds with in the fall. This gives the soil a chance to warm up and lets any self seeding annuals and perennials a chance to emerge. Here are a few pictures from around the garden.

Korean spice viburnum getting ready to pop- best smell in the world!

Monster hyacinths

Spring bulbs

My clematis waking up

Helleborus

Driveway garden- daylilies and daffodils

My blueberry in bud

More spring beauties!














I have been waiting for it to rain before I divided my perennials, we finally got a little last night. I will post later in the week about how I divide my dayliles, iris and hostas - all which need it this year. Later in the spring when everything has emerged I will give all the beds a good weeding and re-mulch with old leaves and garden debris that has been in my composter over the winter- more on that later. Happy spring!!

No comments:

Post a Comment