Thursday, January 26, 2012

My pups...

Their Album Cover Shot



I collect rescue dogs the way some women collect shoes or bad men. I have a soft spot for a sad story and I really should never ever look at the SPCA website. I am holding firm at three and I hope it can stay that way- I thought I might introduce them to you.

Gracie- Grace is my first dog, I got her from the Marin County Humane Society when I lived in California. She was the first dog I saw in the first cage, she wasn't barking she was just leaning against the cage looking at me. Only six months old but already she had the marks of abuse- one of her eyes had an object poked in it so she was mostly blind in that eye. She was a funny looking thing which is why I think she was there the longest of any dog- I took her home the next day. Here is 13 year old Grace:

Her mug shot



Yes, I love her enough to let her dig a hole behind my viburnum




 Blue- We got Blue after loosing my husbands dog and Grace's companion, she was so sad we didn't wait more then two months before finding another dog. Grace is part cattle dog so when we saw a male cattle dog already on his second home and being put up for adoption again we figured it would be a great fit. Well it wasn't, she really didn't like him much so somehow we thought getting a third dogs was the answer. Here is Blue-


Blue at a shelter before he was adopted by his second family
Blue now- who wouldn't be happy in a field of daisies?





Lily- Don't necessarily try this your self but getting a third dog actually did help. She was from an unwanted litter in Alabama, the only thing we knew is that her mother was a cattle dog- her daddy was obviously some kind of hound. Blue loved her like a mother as soon as we got her and grace liked her too- all was well. Here is Lily-


Lily and Blue the week we got her- she had mange on her head

lily basking in the sun

Lily with her teddy


Gardening with three dogs presents some challenges but I wouldn't have it any other way. I will go over some dog proofing tips in further posts.

2 comments: