Monday, January 23, 2012

Terarriums

Terrariums are really just a closed transparent container used to raise plants. Once a terrarium is made it should need near to no care, not even water. It is it's own tiny ecosystem.

Back in the olden days New England housewives placed partridge berry in hand made glass bowls  late fall to bring in and enjoy inside for the winter. I can't go advocating gathering wild partridge berry, moss and lichen to make a terrarium but you can find worthy substitutes at a good full service nursery.

Terrarium plants at Wentworth greenhouse


 If you are local a great place to start would be Wentworth Greenhouse in Rollinsford NH. I was able to find several plants for my terrarium ranging from 99 cents to $3. You will want to use plants that can tolerate moist conditions and low light. Ideal plants would be mosses, babies tears, lucky bamboo and ferns- but go wild and try what you want as long as the foliage will fit in your container with out touching the sides. Please do what I didn't do and measure your container before you buy the plans to make sure they will fit!

What you will need;

A container with a lid, this can be a wire topped ball jar, a empty baby food container to some fancy shmancy apothecary jar like the one I got a TJ Max for $9.

Small rocks, these can be collected or you should be able to find them at a nursery or a pet store in the aquarium department.

Potting soil- I would recommend using sterilized potting soil, my first terrarium I used garden soil and with in a few months I had little moths hatching out and flying around. Because I am weird I felt bad for the moths. Just buy a small bag, you wont need much.

You can add a little charcoal in with the rocks, this helps to keep the air clean- you can find activated charcoal at a pet store in the aquarium section or at a nursery.

And plants!

Other things you can add- be creative! I made this terrarium for my nephew with dinosaurs in it.






















This one I made with just greenery for a post Christmas display on my sideboard


The newest one I am making is with moss and lichen I got from the north side of my garage and some little chickens from Tractor Farm Supply. 

soil, rocks, charcoal and some moss

the rocks and some charcoal



And finished!

3 comments:

  1. I love it! I do have a terrarium but it's just 'plants'. I'm inspired to redo it with a little moss. I love the chickens too! I have a plate in mine and add a seasonal decoration on occasion but the little animals (or even a gnome) would be adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of making them seasonal- maybe I will add some Easter eggs made of painted pebbles for March...

    ReplyDelete